FROM THE DESK OF
Regina M. Stockus
Department of Tourism and Hotel Management
March 7, 2015
I was asked to present a synopsis of some of the extra activities I have been engaged in or involved in during the last few years and especially from 2013 to 2015 at and with our university. I have presented these activities in point form for easier and/ or a more succinct summary.
1) Each year as part of the student’s training I do for my Tourism Majors and to emphasize how important social media plays in marketing and promoting hotels and tourism sites; I helped and guided the students to organize an ANNUAL TOURISM PROMOTIONAL VIDEO COMPETITION.
2) This is to teach them how important the new digital age and social media is in promoting tourism.
3) We have been organizing this event year after year. The 5th Annual Video Competition brought 650 spectators and over 10 sponsors.
4) We raised our own money. We organized the whole event from beginning to end.
5) I guided the students on how to organize this event and how to go after sponsors and the logistics of doing such a competition.
6) This falls directly in line with what they are learning as professional Tourism Majors and Event Organizers
7) In June 2015 we will be organizing the 6th Annual show and we hope to make it bigger. The competition will be open to all of Huizhou Citizens.
8) I also worked with the students to do annual Christmas charity fund raising.
9) We build a mountain of gifts via a fund raising drive where students are encouraged to make their own gifts and then we collect these gifts and then give these gifts to the poor children in poorer villages or children with disabilities.
10) We have been working with Kande Hotel as they also help by donating their gifts and along with our gifts we have a mountain of gifts we give to the poorer kids during Christmas time.
11) This year our MOUNTAIN OF GIFT EVENT took PLACE FRIDAY NOVEMBER 28, 2014 FROM 6-7:30 P.M. IN Front of the Students’ Canteen.
12) I had the good fortune of working with CCTV and Huizhou TV to help film and organize a Tourism promotional Video called A TASTE OF CHINA to help boost tourism into Huizhou.
13) I also organize; each year, at the END OF SEMESTER PARTY, to thank the staff and teachers and school for their support.
14) I also had the good fortune of going to Los AngelesCalifornia and Rio Brazil this year this July and met with universities and colleges to see about developing a scholar exchange program and a student exchange program.
15) We are in the discussion stages and how funds and collaborative details can be organized.
16) I also have given special lessons to some hotels in the area such as Best Western In Daya Bay and Kempinski Hotel and Renaissance Hotel.
17) By doing this we help hotels better understand our university and the potential our tourism students offer them as employees via recruitment programs and objectives.
18) I also launched a tourism magazine called HUIZHOU ON THE GO and I include promotional messages and pictures about our university to showcase our capabilities and achievements.
19) This magazine is distributed free of charge to all major hotel and destinations in HuizhouCity.
20) I ask students who want to become future writers to use this platform to show their writing skills.
21) The magazine also promotes our Wednesday nights English Corners and Saturday afternoon English Salons in Jina Bai
22) I also work with The Huizhou Hotel Association to further boost the potential for our students to find jobs in new and almost build hotels.
23) I also attend meetings conducted by the Guangzhou Hotel Association to again promote our university students as potential employee candidates.
24) I have been appointed OFFICIAL ADVISOR AND CONSULTANT TO THE HUIZHOU GOVERNMENT’S TOURISM BUREAU. Advising them on tourism development and promotion in this region.
25) I was also invited by the M.I.C.E. organizer in Singapore and event and trade show Management Company to be a special lecturer on the potential for HuizhouCity as a MEETING destination for tourism and large conventions.
26) The speech focused on the city as a great potential meeting space and also a place for students to find jobs.
27) Singapore Hotels are willing also to discus hiring our students.
28) I also scout around, whenever possible to advise students about job opportunities in different locations or hotels.
29) I constantly scout and do research on where the new hotels are going to be built and tour them and talk to the bosses to see how our tourism department and our university can work together to advance mutual cooperation.
30) I just completed my newest book called RED TREAD MARKS ON MY TOES. It tells about cultural differences and learning to understand more cultural diversities between living in China and those living abroad.
31) I am now in the early stages of organizing the stat to finish of my latest book on Tourism Development along the DongJiangRiver called: LIFE ON THE RIVER. (Completing October 2015). This will be a documentary and a book and a tourism books rolled into one.
32) Now seeking sponsorship to get it done.
33) I have completed my CHE (Certifies Hotel Educator) Certification program by the American Hotel Association
34) I have been given several certificates by the Tourism Bureau for my help in promoting HuizhouCity a wonderful city I call my second home.
35) I have also been chosen one of Huizhou’s top 10 Citizens influencing and promoting HuizhouCity.
36) My magazine Huizhou On The Go is augmenting this mandate. Since living in China I have completed writing then following books.
37) FOR THE SAKE OF A GOLDEN PADDEL
38) NEW MOON OVER BEIJING
39) LETTERS FROM HUISHOU
40) HUIZHOU UNIVESRITY 65 YEAR ANNIVERSASY BOOK
41) TREATISE ON SOCIAL MEDIA AS A MARKETING TOOL
42) RESEARCH ON EMPERICAL STUDIES AS IT RELATS TO TOURIMS STATISTICS
43) DISCRETIANRY EFFORT IN THE SERVICE INDUSTRY OR MOM’s POTATO SALAD
44) RED TREAD MARKES ON MY TOES
45) LIFE ALONG THE DONGJIAN RIVER CORRDOR (now working on it)
46) My aspirations are write more books and get more involved with Tourism Promotion and Studies of Huizhou through HuizhouUniversity and The Tourism Bureau.
47) Also working with Prof Gao,Sen Yet Sun Research on Tourism and The United National World Tourism Organization.
48) Very happy living in Huizhou therefore。